Friday, November 04, 2005

the conversation

i just had "the conversation". i've been waiting anxiously the whole day, knowing it was looming. the infamous DTR talk. "define the relationship" for you uninformed. "it's not you, it's me." i've heard it so many times. i think it's intended to relieve the sting. but rarely does it--i mean, let's be serious. i've come to see right through that line.

now i'm using it. i just gave my notice. four week notice. i started with, "i hate to drop this bomb on you, but..." shortly followed up by, "it's not you, it's me..." to try to dull the pain. the conversation followed the typical DTR pattern...The Summation, "it's over." followed by The Response, "was it something I did??" Followed by The Explanation, "it's not you, it's me..."

i think he took it fairly well. my manager, that is. it was a civil dialogue. without much drama. i like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment