Monday, December 03, 2012

The difference Christ makes

I'm a very opinionated person.  My wife will confirm it.  I am overly inclined to debate or argue with someone about topics I'm interested in.  This is not always a good thing.

There are various reasons to debate and some are noble.  But I've asked myself, why do I need to persuade other people that I am correct?  What is the my underlying motivation?  Theologically we are all in a search for truth.  Some might argue that truth is relative--that there is no absolute truth--but even they will still search for that truth which exists relative to them.

I've found embedded in debating is a search for credibility.  How do we know what is true?  We attain information from credible sources.  This holds whether I'm talking about politics, my health, theology or any other topic.  When a friend recently had a scary health issue they called me and asked what I thought their problem was.  I told them, "I'm not a doctor, why would you ask me?  Go see a doctor."  I didn't tell them what I thought because my opinion on the matter had no credibility.  I've never studied medicine, and I've never had a similar medical experience out of which I could advise.  They should seek the opinion of someone who has knowledge and experience because their opinion would be more credible than mine.

If we are able to persuade someone else we are correct then it lends credibility to our view.  If you think I'm right then I must be right.  If you think I'm wrong, let me try to persuade you that I'm right.  When people agree with us it vindicates us.  When a political party wins an election, even by just a few votes, they feel empowered.  "The people have chosen," they exclaim.  Even if 49% of the population disagreed, the majority view is vindicated.

Here's the rub:  though I am wired to be opinionated and argumentative the gospel through the Holy Spirit frees me from the need to vindicate myself--and therefore frees me from the need to argue and debate.  I no longer need people to agree because I no longer feel threatened by being wrong.  The world is all about attaining power, but the gospel is all about surrendering power to Christ.  The world is all about who's right and who's wrong, but the gospel is all about who's godly.  Being right or wrong has nothing to do with being godly.  I can be right and be in sin and I can be wrong and be godly.

This raises the question, does truth matter then?  Absolutely!  It matters to everything I think and do.  Truth shapes worldview--and I wholeheartedly believe there is absolute truth.  The gospel exclaims I should be willing to die for truth but I should never be willing to kill for truth.

I'm not saying debating or arguing is innately wrong.  But debating and arguing must be motivated by love and not self.  The apostle Paul eagerly debated the Lordship of Christ in synagogue after synagogue because he knew the message had life and death consequences.  Yet people were so outraged at his message at one point he was stoned and dragged outside the city once the people thought he was dead.  His response?  He got up and walked back into the city.  (Acts 14:19-20)  Sharing the truth was that important to him.  Before Paul knew Christ he killed for truth, after Paul knew Christ he was killed for truth.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog, Robby....does this mean we're going to quite debating? just kidding!

    ReplyDelete