Thursday, February 23, 2006

benefit of the doubt

i desire to be understood. i think it's one of my strengths. it drives me to write and speak as clearly as i can. it causes me to think a lot about what i do, say, and think. intentionality.

"i like you." (for example)

it's also one of my biggest weaknesses. when i'm not understood it frustrates me. to the point that i will attempt to explain until there are no words left to use. then i'll try rearranging words. put them in a different order. maybe that will help.

"you like i" no that doesn't help. rarely does it.

i can hardly sit still when someone misunderstands me. my mom says i should give people the benefit of the doubt. i take that to mean i should assume they are smart enough to get what i mean. they'll figure it out.

when i really think about it, it's a faith issue. can God really work it out even if i'm not understood? will the world really keep spinning? yeah, it will robby. believe it or not. jesus was misunderstood. big time. lots of times. but then again, i think that frustrated him too...but of course, if you misunderstand jesus, your world might actually stop spinning...

1 comment:

  1. It's also important to the know the difference between a misunderstanding and a disagreement.

    For instance, I might understand why someone with a different set of values might not share my opinion on certain political issues. I can say to myself, "they have a different set of values then me and that causes them to see things in a different light." I will, however, still disagree with them.

    This reason is why some arguments will never cease. But in all arguments/disagreements/misunderstandings, the important thing is respect for the other person.

    I don't like it when someone disagrees with me, but if they understand my viewpoint and respect my difference of opinion, then I find it easier to handle then if they don't understand me.

    If they understand me, but disrespect me because of my opinion, then that really frustrates me.


    I find that I have a hard time explaining myself anyway. So if someone either misunderstands me or disagrees with me I end trying to rearrange my words as well. I usually end making incoherent sounds whilst tucked in a corner sucking my thumb in the fetal position.

    have a good day Robby.

    ReplyDelete