Monday, August 19, 2013

Knocking down the last bastion of pride

Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God.  Romans 5:1-2
Faith is not why we are justified, it is how we are justified.   Faith is the means of our justification, not the cause of it.  If I travel from London to Paris through the Chunnel, the Chunnel is the means of my travel.  The Chunnel is not the cause of my travel.  If I travel from London to Paris by train, the train is how the travel occurs, not why the travel occurs.  God doesn't look at our hearts and say, "You have faith, so I am going to justify you."  He gives faith in order to justify us.
Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.  1 Tim 1:13-14
For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe in him, but also to suffer for him  Philippians 1:29

No comments:

Post a Comment