Monday, May 20, 2013

A modern-day Matthew 20:1-16

At a restaurant one day a man was at the checkout counter buying his meal.  Looking behind him he saw a line of several people waiting to check out as well.  He looked at the cashier and said, "I'd like to buy the food for the 3rd and 4th people behind me."  Out of his wallet he pulled a 20 dollar bill and handed it to the cashier. "This should cover it," he said.

The cashier looked at the man and, referring to the 3rd and 4th person in line, asked, "Are they in your group?"

"No, I just want to buy their meals," the buyer replied.

The people in 3rd and 4th place didn't hear the buyer talk to the cashier, but the person directly behind him did and chimed in indignantly, "Wait a second. Why did you skip me? Why would you buy their meals but skip me? You got something against me?"

"Not at all," the buyer responded. "I just want to do something nice for them."

"That's messed up man. Skipping over me."

"I'm sorry you think I'm being unfair," the buyer responded. "When you came into the store, didn't you expect to buy your own meal? So why is it unfair for me to buy a meal for whoever I want to with my own money?"

No comments:

Post a Comment