Friday, August 24, 2012

Knowing the "What" and the "Why"

"but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect, having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame.  For it is better to suffer for doing good, if that should be God's will, than for doing evil." 1 Peter 3:15-17

The Apostle's Creed is a fascinating statement.  The early church leaders wrote it because there was a need to establish some definition around what it meant to be a Christian.  I use the past tense "meant" intentionally because I think to call somebody a Christian today tells you very little about what that person actually believes.  Even recently I met someone who defined herself as Christian but told me she didn't know if Jesus was a real person.  One pastor told me that when he asks someone about their faith he specifically asks, "Are you a Christian or a born-again Christian?"  He's had to distinguish between the two because Christianity has become a cultural identification rather than a spiritual one.

Here's the Apostle's Creed:

I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
    the Maker of heaven and earth,
    and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord:
Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost,
    born of the virgin Mary,
    suffered under Pontius Pilate,
    was crucified, dead, and buried;
He descended into hell.
The third day He arose again from the dead;
He ascended into heaven,
    and sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty;
    from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Ghost;
    the holy catholic church;
    the communion of saints;
    the forgiveness of sins;
    the resurrection of the body;
    and the life everlasting.
Amen.

When I read the Apostle's Creed I can't help but think the authors felt it was pretty important to know what they believed.  They didn't just want a hunch; they wanted something they could look at, read aloud, and point to and say "that's what I believe."

In the same vein, I am going to write some posts outlining exactly what it is I believe and why I believe it.  While I can usually identify something I don't agree with when I hear it, I am convicted by Peter's words that I'm not always able to explain the "why".

No comments:

Post a Comment